Sunday, December 2, 2007

My Distractions

Ten days in the hospital allowed me to quit smoking after 37 years. But even with the Chantix the doctor prescribed after I came home, I still get a little antsy at times. The Chantix web sites recommends that you have a distraction for those times, so crochet has been my main distraction since I came home from the hospital. Since the projects were suppose to be a distraction and not a stresser, I've been working on simple items like caps and scarves. I've made 3 women's caps, 4 scarves, 3 toques, 1 knitted men's cap, 2 girl's caps, and 2 girl's scarves. Guess what some of my family members are getting for Christmas this year.

3 comments:

Deneen said...

Yay for you, so there was a bright side to the hospitalization! I want to try the Chantix, but keep forgetting to ask my rheumy if it will interact with my condition (because of long time steroid use, the adrenal gland can be suppressed-it takes a year off of steroids to get it to normal and I'm on 5 mg daily now, so....I even had to carry a Medi-Alert card stating "Addison's" in case of an accident or severe traume, the adrenal gland won't kick in and they have to know in the ER to give me cortisone to kick it in)-anyway, I think it's okay, but still, I keep forgetting to ask. Any side effects? (Friends mentioned nausea)

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! I'm glad there was an upside to being in the hospital. I quit 5 years ago after about 20 years. Once in awhile I still think about it. Not really an urge, just wishful thinking!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I quit September 1st. I'm still wanting to smoke all the time, just about every day. It gets easier though. Hang in there. For me, candy worked wonders. Especially chewy stuff Starburst for some reason.