Saturday, September 13, 2008

New Job



I started working at the weekly newspaper in Snyder September 1. I believe I'm really going to like it. It's nice to be able to go to work and do your job without people complaining all of the time. The hours are good, and I get all of Friday off. I probably won't make as much money as I did working for the town, but that's okay, too. The working environment ranks higher than pay for me any day.

I've been pretty tired in the evening, so my reading time has suffered. I've only finished one book this month. I'm reading The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch as part of the Ravelry Book Club, and I don't believe I've ever met a character that I disliked more than Charles. I'll keep reading, though, because I'm hoping he'll get some kind of payback at the end.

I've been picking up my great-nephew from Pre-K since school started in August. The high gas prices and budget cuts required the school system to eliminate the noon bus. I understand perfectly, but some parents really had to scramble to get their kids a ride to their day care. Everyone in the our family works, so I'm the one whose boss is nice enough to let me off for 30 minutes each day to pick Hunter up and deliver him to his sitter. Can't you imagine how strange I look with all those 20 something mothers waiting to pick up her child? There are a few grandparents, though, who have been called into service, so that makes me feel a little better.
These are pictures I took at the lake last weekend. The birds are turkey vultures. I was afraid to get any closer because I'd spook them.

The trees and the rocks kept getting in the way. I didn't want to climb out too far on the rocks because the rattlesnakes are still out. Besides, I had some lake ranger that kept watching me. I don't think there are any laws against taking pictures of a dam and a lake, but who knows since 9/11.

1 comment:

Deneen said...

Yay for the new job. I have to tell you, I am one of the oldest moms (although there are a few I went to HS with)in Elena's grade. It used to bother me, but doesn't anymore (okay, last year when Elena announced in class how old I was and the kids gasped-that bother me-LOL), but the kids don't even realize it and honestly, so many older mothers now. Also, some of the grandparents are only a few years older than I am (their kids had kids super young)-it's not like it was 20 years ago.

Three Bags Full-I am pushing my way through it-halfway through it and waiting for "something" to happen and no, I never don't finish a book once I am halfway through-even if it takes a month.