Friday, July 6, 2007

What I've Been Up To

We didn't have Internet Wednesday night and most of the day yesterday. Last night we had a thunderstorm with lots of thunder and lightning, so I turned the computer off and unplugged everything. I don't have much faith in surge protectors since I lost a TV, a VCR, and the modem on my first computer. It's best just to shut everything down and wait it out.

I'm gradually adding pictures to Ravelry, but I'm taking it slow. I wish I had kept better notes on my projects like some of the others. It takes time to look that stuff up, but it will be a great record of projects once I get everything entered.

Yesterday I did sort through two totes of yarn and projects. I found a couple of WIPs that I had forgotten about. One of them is a child's cap that I started while Mom was in the nursing home. It uses sport weight yarn, so the ribbing is done on size 4 needles. I realize now why I stopped working on it. After a few rows my hands went numb, and I had to stop and give them a rest. I'm through with the ribbing now and was able to switch to the size 6 needles for the stockinette part. My hands don't seem to mind those, and I made quite a bit of progress on the cap today. I should be ready to start the decreases soon.

I'm still working on the rectangle grannies. I have 96 centers done, and I've added the second round of purple to about 75 of those. I'm weaving the ends as I go, and that become mind numbing after awhile. Why do I start projects like that anyway?

I sort of set the ruffled cardigan aside for awhile. I still haven't gotten up the nerve to sew the sleeves to the body. I get it out, stare at it awhile, and then put it back in the drawer. Part of the problem is that the Plush yarn is hard to sew with, so I know if I screw up it won't be easy to take it out.

We had a quiet Fourth of July here because of the weather. There's usually a celebration in the park across the street from the house, but it was cancelled because of the flooding. The past few years it's been so dry that you had to stand guard constantly to make sure none of the fireworks caught your yard or house on fire. (Yes, there's a city ordinance against setting off fireworks in the city limits, but there's no police to enforce it.) This year everything is so wet that I don't think you could start a fire with a flame thrower. Anyway, the neighbors were nice enough to set theirs off before 12:00 p.m., so all in all, I had a very pleasant Fourth.

I'll leave you with a picture of the youngest members of the family. Normally, they're outside cats now, but when it was flooding I let them stay inside. Clockwise, you see Tiny, Beavis, and Butt-Head. Butt-Head got his name first because of his actions. I guess a nice way to put it is that he's developmentally delayed. He reminds me of some guys I know. Nice to look at but not a lot going on upstairs.

1 comment:

April said...

Cute kitty pictures!

I hope that the flooding situation gets itself under control.

I've never lost anything in a thunderstorm, but I am sort of waiting for that luck to run out. I doubt my surge protectors work well either, and the boy seems to freak out if he shuts the computer down, since he is always on it.

Nice to read an update.

Oh, and Butthead---sounds like my girl Otis. Maybe it's my fault for giving her a boy's name.